Mr No-Relationship, Part 13 – Meltdown

Lucy’s still in Kenya, where she’s been dating a charismatic Australian named Brad. Brad won her over with his twinkly smile and his strings of heart-eyed emojis, asked her to be his girlfriend, then did a U-turn faster than Nigel Farage the day after the Brexit vote and decided he didn’t want a relationship after all.

If you missed all of this, click here to read from the start, or you can find last week’s post at Part 12 – Firefighting.

Since the argument that caused the entire shining palace of happiness to explode in a fireball of misery, Lucy’s reluctantly agreed to ‘just keep things casual’ with Brad.  Yes, he’s been behaving like a cunt, so really she should just tell him to fuck the hell off, but she can’t.  She’s been blinded by how great the first couple of weeks were, and by the dream of a glorious African holiday romance, and she’s simply not ready to let that go.

So when she barely hears from him for the whole of the next week, it drives her certifiably, call-the-men-in-white-coats insane. She’s leaping every time her phone buzzes, overthinking every text, delaying her replies for as long as she can bear so as to appear sufficiently unbothered, and driving poor, long-suffering Anna completely up the wall with her pathetic heartbroken angsting.

But by the time it gets to Friday, and there’s still no word from Brad about whether they’re going to meet that evening, she’s forced to drop the casual act and chase him.

A sensible girl, of course, would simply make other plans. Lucy is sensible girl, but not when it comes to men who’ve stolen her heart.  When it comes to them, she’s a pathetic, needy doormat. Someone needs to give her a slap.

Even in her darkest, most wretched moments, Lucy will never let misery get in the way of an uncorrected typo.

Brad’s response to the suggestion that she might go out with another friend is a swiftly brutal “Ok cool”.

And finally, the red mist descends.  NOW she’s mad (better late than never, eh?)  If Brad can’t be arsed to make plans with her, well FUCK HIM. Lucy’s fed up of feeling like freshly dumped shite at the hands of this prize arsetrumpet. Fuck him to the moon and back. She’s done.

If passive aggression were a criminal offence, Lucy would be looking at a charge of GBH, no question.

Those last two words. Seemingly so small and innocent. And yet containing such soul-crushing hurt, such pent-up rage and frustration. Or. Not. A combination one-two punch with all of Lucy’s bodyweight thrown behind them.

It takes Brad less than two minutes to reply.

What’s up with her? Lucy is speechless with fury. Except of course a lack of words has never been her problem. And so finally, since he’s opened the door, she unleashes all the hurt and anger she’s been bottling up for the last two weeks.

Lucy’s entirely aware that Brad will accuse her of being a crazy psycho bitch who’s massively overreacting, but she no longer gives a flying fuck.  The damage is done; the dream is dead.  At least giving him a grade-A bollocking might afford her some small crumb of satisfaction.

And sure enough, his response is as predictable as that part in the film where the insignificant desk clerk gets his head ripped off by the monster.  He unleashes a torrent of defensive abuse, which is far too long to bore you with, so here are some excerpts:

Well, thinks Lucy. How very big of him to agree not to try to kill her or someone else on the roads that night. What a hero.

Lucy sees now that clearly Brad could not possibly be the guy for her.  For one thing, she met him on Tinder, FFS.  Any idiot could have predicted this would happen.

Never wanted to be in a relationship? So what the actual fuck was with the strings of heart-eyed emojis and the sending photos of her to his mother and asking her not to date other guys?

This is where Lucy’s getting confused. In one breath he’s saying she’s too intense and too controlling, and then in the next he’s getting cross because she’s going out and socialising with other people.  What does he want?  Surely he doesn’t just expect her to sit at home doing nothing until such time as he decides he wants to see her?

Don’t answer that.

Oh nice, here’s the classic, “I’m so in demand, I could be with hundreds of other women, but I chose you, so you need to just shut up and be grateful. With a side order of “it’s not me, it’s you.” Stir, put in the oven, and bake for 40 minutes, and you get a brilliant shit cake with a sour cherry on the top.

Fuck.  Lucy definitely shouldn’t have brought that bag, she should have listened to Anna.  Yet again, being a planner has fucked everything.  And not in a good way.

But then, what difference would it have made if she hadn’t?  This whole thing was already barrelling towards the cliff edge like a runaway train, so at best it would merely have delayed the ghastly moment of impact.

There’s a lot more of this rant, but I won’t bore you with the rest. You get the point.  Here’s some of Lucy’s reply.

It’s probably pointless now, but still Lucy wants to explain, to justify her actions, make him understand. If he’s going to accuse her of overreacting, if he’s going to think she’s psycho, she at least wants the chance to defend herself.

She knows he’s probably not even listening. She imagines him sitting at his desk, eyes rolling at every word, probably winding himself up into a furious frenzy, feeling even more abused and misunderstood and hard done by than ever before

And secretly enjoying the self-righteous indignation.

Lucy, on the other hand, is at home in her Nairobi apartment, sat at the dining table on a stiff-backed chair, with tears, mascara and snot flooding down her face as she watches the dream fall apart in slow motion.

During the half hour it takes Brad to reply again, she sits motionless at the table, with as much life in her as a Madam Tussauds waxwork, unable to focus on any other task but the simple act of breathing, and waiting.

Poor, hard-done-by Brad.  Always accused of being the asshole.  He can’t get it right, can he?

I’m sure you wondering why Lucy is even still bothering at this point. Brad’s an abusive, gaslighting man-child, clear as day, and even Lucy, blinded by infatuation as she is, can see that now.

And yet still she’s trying to salvage something from this wreckage.  You may well ask why.  But when you’ve fallen for someone, you’ve let your guard down, it’s very hard to let that go. Lucy had allowed herself to picture, if not a long-term future with Brad, then at the very least a brilliant three months with him, travelling all over Kenya together, having amazing fun times and great sex, and then maybe, just maybe, something more.  And now not only has the Brad she thought she knew been snatched away, but so has this gilded vision.  That’s what she’s trying to claw back.  Because if she can’t, the rest of her time in Kenya is going to about as much fun as a work team-building exercise at a paintball centre.

Brad, of course, doesn’t give a fuck about any of that.

Lucy doesn’t quite know what to make of this. One moment he’s accusing her of being too intense and controlling, the next he’s talking about falling in love.  Does this mean there might be room for hope?  Hope that maybe he was just having a bad day, or trying to protect himself, and that actually if she takes a softer approach she might still be able to resolve this sorry mess?

If there is, maybe it’s time for her to soften her tone.

I’m sure you’re all probably screaming at your screens now, telling Lucy to walk away, but she simply can’t. And while there may still be a glimmer of hope, she simply isn’t ready to let it all go.  Not until she’s finished the job, and made even more of a fool of herself than she already has.

Humiliation

All weekend Lucy’s in agony. She reads and re-reads the conversation over and over, trying to work out where she went wrong.  Is this all her fault, for overthinking and reading too much into things?  Maybe everything was fine and she ruined it?  Yes, he was being distant, but maybe if she had played it cool, he might have come back.  Instead, she overreacted and ended up digging her own grave.  What a fucking mess.

On Sunday she finds out that Anna, Brad, and the rest of the gang went out without her the previous evening. When she checks her WhatsApp, the dreaded ‘last online’ display shows her that Brad was up at 4.45 am.  Her mind goes into overdrive again. Who was he with? Was he hooking up with someone else? Did he take her home?  She begins to panic too that she’s being phased out, and that soon she will have lost not only a boyfriend, but her entire friendship group as well.

***

Next week Brad’s flying back to Australia for a two-week holiday to see his kids.  Lucy knows she’s unlikely to hear from him while he’s away, and she really doesn’t want to leave things unresolved.  She needs to know if this is really over, or if  there’s a chance they might be able to salvage something when he gets back.  So she messages him again.

Any idiot should have been able to see that it’s way too late for a message like that, and that all it achieves is to make her look even more pathetic.

It’s quite stunning how far a bright, independent, spirited woman can fall when there’s a charismatic man in the picture.

Of course Brad wastes no time at all in bursting what remains of her deluded bubble.

And there you have it. Brad the 37-year-old father-of-three just wants to go out every weekend and get shitfaced with his 20-something mates. He wants to reclaim his lost youth, be one of the cool kids, drink and smoke and go wild until 5 am, and not have the ball-and-chain of a woman cramping his style.

Too late, Lucy realises that she should have walked away far sooner.  But instead she tried to cling on and all that she achieved was to come across as a pathetic, needy, worthless little girl, instead of the fierce, pin-sharp, strong woman she really is.  Fuck’s sake!  Why do we let ourselves fall so far for a cunting man?!

All she can do is try to style it out, but her attempt is laughable.  Talk about shutting the barn door too late, the horse is already halfway to Morocco.

Ah well, we all live and learn.  Lucy doesn’t reply, and the next morning, when he messages her again to say farewell, she keeps her answer short and cool.  If only she’d done this sooner, eh?

Brad leaves for two weeks, and Lucy goes back on Tinder. By the time he gets back, she’s determined to have replaced him with someone nicer and hotter.

Next time: The Aftermath.  There’s an excruciating weekend away, and Brad ends up in hospital.

13 Comments

1. sarah white
    6th October 2018 / 9:40 am

This is so relatable….doesn’t matter where these things happen, it’s true to say that they happen to all of us! Good luck with it all and keep posting! Sarah

• Lucy
      Author
      7th October 2018 / 9:57 pm

Thanks Sarah! Yes, if I’ve learned anything from this, it’s that men and dating are pretty much the same the world over!

2. Jac
    6th October 2018 / 1:24 pm

Blimey, what a charmer Brad is. I can totally understand how you were in this relationship, when you fall hard, it’s very difficult to keep perspective. I’m saying this as someone who had a ‘Brad’ but stayed with him for 3 years, ignoring the red flags, trying to rationalise the behaviour, not hearing the good advice from family and friends. It’s taken me months to accept I was abused and manipulated and your experience, although briefer than mine, is exactly what I went through. Thank you for helping me come to terms with it, I know that wasn’t your aim! I hope you come out of this a little wiser, I don’t mean that to sound patronising, but at 48, I never thought I’d allow this to happen to me and I’ve certainly learnt a very hard lesson. Good luck, Lucy, and thank you xx

• Hollie
      6th October 2018 / 11:02 pm

Totally the same as Jac – I was with someone like that for 3 years. I’m looking back screaming at my then-self to see the light of day, but it’s so hard when you’re in it, hopeful of returning things to how they once were, after such a promising start, and feeling captivated and loved.

Thanks so much Lucy for sharing this experience in such excruciating detail.

• Lucy
        Author
        7th October 2018 / 10:04 pm

Hi Hollie – same goes for you too as I just said to Jac. I’m so sorry you went through such a tough time, and also so pleased you related to the post. I can’t possibly imagine what you went through, my experience was so short in comparison to yours, but I’m certain that if Brad hadn’t binned me off when I tried to reconnect with him, that cycle of being drawn in and then pushed away could have continued for a very long time without me being able to break away from it. So in a way he did me a favour!

• Lucy
      Author
      7th October 2018 / 10:01 pm

Hi Jac, I’m so sorry to hear you went through 3 years of this – 3 weeks was quite enough for me so I really do feel your pain! But if I’ve helped even in a small way then that’s wonderful, and I’m so pleased! It may not have been my aim specifically, but certainly one of the reasons I keep writing is because people sometimes tell me the stories are relatable and make them feel less alone, so I really am very happy to be able to help in some small way. It makes all the hard work and RSI worthwhile!

3. 6th October 2018 / 4:48 pm

Good god, Lucy. I feel you, hon. The “come here, go away” thing is really painful. You’re not a crazy psycho. You have every right to draw the line at drink driving and well, if that’s enough to turn a relationship on its head, it sounds like you dodged a bullet (and possibly an oncoming traffic obstacle too). Looking forward to the aftermath and hoping you find someone more compatible soon! Dating seems like hard yards 🙁

• Lucy
      Author
      7th October 2018 / 10:09 pm

Thanks, darling. I know I’m not a crazy psycho, I guess I’m just someone who really wants to believe, to the extent that I may end up choosing to ignore red flags in the pursuit of what I want. I need to learn not to do that!

4. Barbara Iwowo
    7th October 2018 / 10:14 am

Firefighter was sent to me last week and this week as well .whats happening

• Lucy
      Author
      7th October 2018 / 10:17 am

It was? That’s very odd. I haven’t reposted it so you should only have had it once. I presume you got the alert for this one? I don’t think anyone else had it twice…?

5. 7th October 2018 / 4:15 pm

Oh Lucy. I had too much to say in just a tweet. This was awful to read, but what was more awful is how relatable this all was. We have ALL been there — desperately trying to cling to what once was, and praying that he’ll go back to the guy we originally met. And to be honest — I dont think that’s a bad thing. I do think it’s good to try to work on relationships, not just walk away at the first major fight (like he seemed to want to do). So don’t beat yourself up for that too much — if you hadn’t you’d always have wondered if you walked away too fast. Relationships take work, and it sucks when the work doesnt pay off, but no risk no reward and all that.

Brad is awful. It’s the hallmark of a fuckboy to completely ignore his own actions (he never once acknowledged your points about the drinking and driving) and make contradictory statements about you – too controlling, too much planning, but you’re going out with others etc. ugh. (also he can fuck off about that bag comment. If a BAG makes him feel suffocated he needs to calm the fuck down. that was not your fault at all, he was just looking for anything to pin on you).

I also couldn’t help but burst out laughing when he started one reply with “i just find it funny how…” LOLOL such a cliche dramatic girl response!

Anyway all this to say — don’t beat yourself up. It’s so hard to walk away in the moment. I try to selectively seek the opinion of those I trust in moments like that to understand if I’m overreacting or not. I hope you have the same support network, because it really can be a huge help and give clarity (the twitfam is also great for that). But you’re only human and you tried your best. In a few months this will just be a blip in your memory. Brad can keep living his immature, shallow lifestyle, but at least you’ll know you’re living a far more fulfilling life. He will come to regret his actions when he hits 50 and realizes he has nothing.

• Lucy
      Author
      7th October 2018 / 10:17 pm

Hey Harley, thanks so much for taking the time to read (and for persevering through the technical issues!) Sorry it was awful to read – though I’m obviously happy it’s relatable. That’s why I wanted to share the whole story in detail, and I know it took quite a few posts to get to the end of what was essentially quite a short story, but I wanted to show the gradual progression of anticipation, then excitement, then falling, then falling apart, as I think it’s the same process that happens to lots of people, it’s just that in my case it all happened rather quickly.
      And yes, I think many of us who have been single for a while really do want to believe, and its so hard to meet someone you really feel you connect with that when you do, you do everything in your power to hold onto it, even when it turns out that it’s not what you thought it was. You hold on because you still want to believe, and because it’s really hard to know where the line is between tolerating someone’s flaws, since we all have them, and recognising unacceptable behaviour.
      And don’t worry, I’m not beating myself up really. I’m annoyed that I wasn’t able to keep it casual, as he would have been a really excellent travel/fuck buddy, but I’m clearly not someone who can separate sex from feelings. And I did have support, both Anna and my bestie Lily were on the other end of WhatsApp (I did think about including some of their responses but the whole thing was getting way too long!) but they were there.
      And yes, I did try my best, as I shall continue to do, though I’m not at all confident that I won’t also hit 50 with nothing, but for different reasons.
      Except I won’t quite have nothing, at least I’ll still have this blog!

6. najarine
    7th October 2018 / 11:16 pm

looks like you are really obsessed about giraffes…

Got something to say? I'd love to hear it...

Names and some minor details have been changed to protect the innocent. And sometimes the guilty.
%d bloggers like this: